Top 10 lifesaving Kids
In December last year an article was published on the BBC website entitled ‘Child Lifesavers of 2016,’ but that year was not unique because every year stories occur of children saving the lives of a parent, friend or a stranger. Most of these stories involved children using a phone to contact the emergency services, but other stories involve children adminstering glucose injections to a diabetic parent, and even a child who helped his mum deliver a sibling.
On this page we will look at ten occasions where a child has illustrated an impressive knowledge of first aid, saved a life or had the foresight to contact the emergency services in the nick of time.
In 2016 four year old Suzie McCash’s mother Rowena went into severe Anaphylaptic shock as a result of an allergic reaction while the pair of them were at home alone. Instead of panicking little Suzie showed a remarkable amount of calm and presence of mind by phoning the emergency services and getting through to the police. She was able to let them know details of the emergency before passing the phone to her mother who was clearly struggling to breathe. The call is recorded and you can listen to it by following the link, below:
In 2016 Lilly Mae was a 6 year old girl from Derby. Her mother is an epileptic and when Lilly found her unconscious on the floor she quickly decided it was a situation that demanded the attentions of the emergency services, so she phone 999, getting through to call handler Andrew Garven. Later Andrew described the Lilly’s calmness when describing her Mother’s condition, he also explained ho Lilly gave vital information that prepared paramedics to help her mother. Lilly’s Mother Portia says her daughter definetely saved her life by making that phone call.
Lilly May Speaking on Facebook –
In 2013 Amira Thorton, a 13 year old girl in the US, was watching TV in her living room when she heard her mother struggling to breathe in the kitchen. Analysing the situation she quickly worked out that her mother was choking on something which she was unable to swallow or bring back up. Despite the panic this brought to mind in Amira’s mind a situations she had seen in a movie when a character played by Robing Williams named Mrs Doubtfire saved someone’s life by grabbing the person’s waist from behind and squeezing tightly and suddenly. Not knowing what the move was called Amira quickly applied the Heinlich Manouevre, dislodging the food and thus saving her mother’s life.
When 6 year old Angelica Riggins’ Father was woken at 2am by the smell of fire in his house his first though was the safety of his daughter. Trapped upstairs by smoke he desperately scrambled along the corridor to get to his daughter’s bedroom to save her life, however unbeknown to him his daughter had already left the home and taken the action that would end up saving his life. After attending a fire drill session at school the day before Angelica knew that she needed to leave the burning building and get help. She woke up before her father and the first things she did was leave the house and go to her neighbours house where she phoned the emergency services who turned up promptly and saved Mr Riggins from the building.
Roman From London
Roman is a four year old boy living in London. In March of 2017 he found his mother unconscious on the sofa, apparently not breathing; using great observation skills he worked out that in order to contact the emergency services he would have to access his mother’s phone using the thump print technology. Therefore he lifted his stricken mother’s thumb to the touch pad allowing him to access the phone. From there he spoke to Siri who helped him phone 999. His phone call to the emergency services revealed he was at home with an even younger sibling and his twin. Thanks to his actions an ambulance arrived less that 13 minutes later and they were able to rescuscitate the mother.
Sofia was only 3 years old when her mother, 38 year old Patricia Hanington, lost consciousness at home while they were doing some art work in the living room. Thanks to her mum having taught Sofia how to use her phone Sofia was able to pick it up and dial 999, getting through to the emergency services; during the two minute call she was able to explain to the paramedics where they lived and give a description of her mum’s condition. The quick wittedness of the daughter saved the mother who was rushed to hospital by ambulance where she recieved the support that kept her alive. Below is a picture of the tiny tot who became a hero.
Lenny George Jones
Lenny George Jones’s father Mark is a type 1 diabetic who collapsed unconscious on the floor one day in Novemeber 2016. Lenny knew enough about his Father’s condition that he force fed his father some sugary yoghurt which helped him regain consciouness which took him ojut of his coma. The boy saved his plasterer father’s life that day and the story was featured in an article in teh Mirror in late 2016. What a hero!
Conor Carr’s mother is an epileptic, when she suffered an epileptic fit the three year old from tyneside dialled 999 to call an ambulance for her as she sat slumped on the floor. Hos actions won him a Pride of Britain award in 2016 presented by Ronan Keating.
When Jt’s father was woring under a car the jack failed and it fell on him pinning him between the car and the ground beneath. As the weight of the car slowly squeezed the life out of Stephen Parker his only hope for life fell on his 9 year old son who showed great insight as he started to work on the Jack. It took him 15 minutes to raise the car fufficientloy for his father to be freed. The ambulance was called and the dad survived.
Abby Snodgrass proved the usefulness of teaching CPR to children when she utilised her skills to save the life of a 1 year old who stopped breathing in a supermarket. The desperate attempts of the mother to save her daughter were noticed by Abby who took over and applied CPR, saving the child to the joy of the parents who thanked her for saving their daughter’s life. This is a clear and obvious example of the importance of making First Aid a family concern. It also adds depth to the argument that First Aid skills should be taught to all children in all schools in the UK.